Drop the Waist

29 July 2014 Eldwick, Bingley, Bingley, West Yorkshire BD16, UK

This is a style that really goes out of my comfort zone. The 'drop waist' dress has been around for quite a while, but I only really started to notice them after seeing a style similar on the Chanel catwalk, I then soon started to take notice inside stores. I like the skater or fit-n-flare style, but because I'm quite tall, I usually opt for the high waist, whether elasticated or not. Fit-n-flare dresses are also amazing for hiding all the lumps and bumps that never need to be seen around the torso and upper leg. Before trying on these dresses, I thought they would never really suit me, and I'm still getting used to the style but it's growing on me. Wearing it feels no different to wearing a longer top and a mini skirt so it is in no way uncomfortable and actually quite easy to wear and style. This dress has short sleeves, so I paired it with a black leather jacket that matches the very dark grey stripes in the dress. I think this look is perfect for a really casual day out because it's simple cool and comfortable. It's not too 'out there' for summer and can be transformed perfectly for winter. With fashion, I think one of the most experimental things you can do is try something new - I guess that goes for life too. It could be as small as switching a dress style, wearing a new colour or going all out and wearing something completely out of your comfort zone. Today it's just the dress, but I'm making a goal of trying something new at least twice a month, just to shake things up.
Dress - Topshop
Jacket - Miss Selfridge
Bag - Topshop
Shoes - Next

32 comments

  1. Love the dress! And your bag is great!

    -Mathilde
    BLOG | BLOGLOVIN | LOOKBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect dress, love the stripes!

    Jules x

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice outfit dear !
    would you like to follow each other on our blog?
    let me know, I'll wait> http://mcaruso930.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dress! It looks so cute and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I've been a little leery of dropped waists myself, but seeing you pull it off so beautifully makes me think that maybe I should give it a try! Thanks for the inspiration!

    http://howtomakehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. done dear "follower 110"
    my page facebook > https://www.facebook.com/ThisIsMyStyleByMartinaBlog i'll wait, kiss !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty dress and love how you styled it. Thanks for the visit.
    effortlesslady.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this outfit! I have that jacket too :D

    Style Sunrise ☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing look!
    Xoxo,
    Julie
    http://www.juliechagas.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dress is super cute :) I love the drop waist detail.

    trendofdays.blogspot.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dress looks lovely on you, I really like the drop waist and it looks quite with your jacket as well :)

    Louise / www.asseenonlouise.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely outfit, and post!



    Jemma // Jemma In Words

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, I've nominated you for a Liebster Award :-) http://lockettspockets.blogspot.com/2014/07/liebster-award.html check it out! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this outfit! I was also nervous about dropwaists (but it's because I'm short, and I thought it would shorten my legs), but once I got one I Realized I actually kind of like them... sometimes. High waists are still my favorite!

    dinosaurtoes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love stripes and leather together! So chic!

    www.astyleshake.blogspot.co.uk

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. good outfit :)

    www.pattonfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. you look super stylish !

    x Maria
    Let me know what you think of MY NEW HIGH RISE SHORTS

    ReplyDelete
  18. The drop waist dress looks great on you!! Very chic!!

    XO,
    Shirley
    TrueHonestFashion

    ReplyDelete
  19. l love the drop waist dress and leather jacket combo!!

    ROUGH & TOUGH☯ | I`m on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this dress! Adorable!

    Heidi D.
    www.wishesandreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've only worn a drop-waist dress once, but I love the way it turned out. You look fabulous!

    xo Jen
    Skirt The Rules

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are so lovely! I appreciate your visit and kind words on my blog. Very sweet of you :) Your dress is very cool, your hair is gorgeous and your legs are amazing in those tights! I am a big fan of tights and was so happy to see these. A perfect time for my first visit to your cool blog :) xoxo

    http://downwithpants1969.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. this is gorgeous and the dress looks beaut on you :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great outfit, I adore your jacket!

    http://marylyl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love outfit!! And very nice bicker!!
    xox

    http://myclosetinasuitcase.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely stunning!
    Love...love.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mi piace anche la borsa.

    WWW.ANGELICHIC.COM

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have a slight obsession with drop waist things at the minute, every time I see one I want to buy it!
    x

    Would be amazing if you could take a look at my blog too

    Written with style

    x

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been looking for a white or black solid print any fabric long sleeve skater type dress.
    fit and flare black dress

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne