Pencil Promises

4 October 2014 Eldwick, Bingley, Bingley, West Yorkshire BD16, UK

Pencil dresses were never ever a go-to dress for me. I would purposefully avoid them and for years family and friends have been trying to convince my just to try one on. I was simply too self-consious of my body shape to allow any sort of dress to show off any aspect of my figure. During this time, t-shirt dresses were my best friend, they hid anything and everything. However, over the past few years as I have learnt how to come out of my very homey shell, pencil dresses aren't so bad. In fact, they're a favourite of mine. I always wear them to job interviews because they're simple and sophisticated without being over-bearing and too much on the eye. So far, I still prefer the black pencil dress, simple because I feel more comfortable in that colour, but I'm sure that will soon change. To add a splash of colour to any all-black outfit, I usually go for something like a cover-up or coat. Today I'm going with a super soft cotton cardigan that's very similar to the one I wore yesterday. I like cropped cardigans because they're perfect for layering which is an autumn essential. They also tend to come in very basic colour so it's not to difficult to find one that's the right colour for you.
Today's outfit is evening attire, so wedges are excellent as I need a shoe I can walk around in, or stand up in for a long time. There are a few pairs of heels in my closet that are simply for show, I do wear them, but usually to events where I know I'll be sat down for a while because their either too uncomfortable to stand in for a long time or I haven't yet mastered walking in them. I once heard that if you go to an airport in your favourite heels, find a flat escalator or moving walkway to strut on for an hour you may just master the art of walking in any high heels. You may get arrested, but at least you can walk in heels. To finish the look, I'm carrying a sequinned clutch that sparkles and shimmers in the light. 
Dress - made for me // cardigan - Dorothy Perkins // wedges - Next // clutch - Next

5 comments

  1. That is such a pretty pencil dress and it looks so lovely on you. I used to not like to wear pencil dresses too but have started to like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great outfit ^^

    http://aparkaforyourthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously so chic, I wish I could pull a look like that off! Lovely lovely xx

    Emily | Lynde Avenue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anika!

    so good you embraced what you were scared of - fashion is all about taking risks and being brave and pushing boundaries!!

    you look gawj! you should deffo try a block colour dress - something really bright would look amazing against your skin!

    Love Shani xo
    Co-founder at Style Honey
    www.stylehoney.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, what a nice dress and lovely pictures! By the way, I nominated you to write 10 facts about yourself - check my latest blog post!

    Hugs from Denmark x
    Mathilde | MATHILDE JULIE

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne