Exploring Oslo: Day Two

12 June 2015

With a bright an early start, the first destination was the Universitetets Botaniske Hage Tøyenhagen, also known as the Botanical Gardens. The grounds were absolutely enormous which I loved, and it was a really challenge picking between 125 photos. I'm not much of a nature person but I do appreciate great scenery and beautiful greenery. I loved the hand-made sculptures of the maple seeds, also known as 'the helicopter leaves/seeds' in Yorkshire. Inside one building, there were some gigantic lily-pad-type plants which I was just drawn to. Their roots were over 20 meters long and I read the plants can hold the weight of a small baby!
The Nobel Peace Museum was incredibly inspiring. The ground floor had an exhibition showing off the work of Malala (who's book is amazing) and Kalala. Their ventures for peace and happiness among other humans helps you to appreciate those valuable humans in the world. Unfortunately the gift shop was way out of my budget and I lost my camera that morning. I also visited Astrup Fearnley Museum of Modern Art (which you can see in the third cruise photo), a museum full of contemporary and artistic pieces - I spent way too long in there.
The Fjord cruise was on my to do list after the many hours spent revising Trip Advisor. The hour-long boat ride stopped near some of the islands in Oslo's centre and I slowly came to the conclusion I really want a boat. Not following the crowd or anything, but the idea of being able to float around wherever you desire seems like a great concept. The cruise-boat had two decks, so you were able to curl up cosy inside, or brave the windy water for a photo opportunity. I recommend this boat ride for anyone really wanting to get to know Oslo, you see plenty during the trip and can use the 24-hour public transport pass to ride as many times as you like!
The Royal Palace was another landmark I had previously spotted on Pinterest and knew had to be on my list. The building looked enormous in photos, but it's twice the size in person. The grounds were vast with open space and steps for tourists to walk around and explore. I also got to take a peak at the entrance of the University of Oslo which was a must. The architecture in the city is so exquisite and has a real, historic but old-school glamour to it. 
 I then spent the rest of the day, evening and night in area called Grünerløkka, known for streets filled with colourful graffiti art. It may not be the wealthiest area in Oslo, but the neighbourhood is rich with talent and personality. On every corner there was a piece of artwork to be found; one piece I absolutely adored was the hand-made chandelier hanging right between two buildings. The sun hits it perfectly at every angle and the colours that shimmer during the night are mesmerising. The end the day, I relaxed at outdoor bar named Blå, right in the centre of all the action. The alternative club often has live music and runs right by a river with the best views of artists at work. I would head back to Oslo just for another night in Grünerløkka!

30 comments

  1. So beautiful place!

    http://alex-faashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing photos everything looks lovely

    CANDICE | BEAUTY CANDY LOVES

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic post and have a happy weekend.

    ** I'm inviting you to join Love, Beauty Bloggers on facebook. A place for beauty and fashion bloggers from all over the world to promote their latest posts!

    BEAUTYEDITER.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. so lovely a place x
    www.vicariousLA.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful pictures....the place is so amazing...

    www.crazyaboutcolors.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. such great pics! I never thought of visiting Oslo, but now I want to!

    Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow these photos are just beautiful! I love the lily pads and nature <3

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it :) New on my French blog: "How to straighten your hair and eat Strawberries Tagada at the same time"

    www.taimemode-fashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow it looks incredible there, great photography! We call them helicopter seeds too haha!

    www.sophieslittlesecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those lily pads are huge although I don't think I've seen any in real life. I wasn't expecting the graffiti, but I love it. It adds so much color and life. And I can't believe that chandelier was hand-made. - culturedmisprint.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a nice place.
    I love the grafiti and everuthing
    XO

    Check my new post.
    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oslo looks amazing, and the green sceneries have me gaping here in jealousy; I wanna visit so bad!

    May x • THE MAYDENbloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice :) New on my French blog: "Straighten your hair while you eat strawberries tagada sweets!" :)

    www.taimemode-fashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pictures! The botanical gardens (especially the giant lily pads) and the chandelier in the street look so cool! xx
    Chasing Belle

    ReplyDelete
  15. All your photographs are absolutely stunning. This post has definitely made me want to visit Oslo. Hope you had a great time.

    Beth x
    www.hellobeth.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a beautiful city! also loving your coat<3

    illustrated-wardrobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a wonderful day! The city is beautiful. Love the photos!

    Florals&Smiles

    ReplyDelete

  19. Oh My Gosh!! your blog is gawjus!! love the design !!

    had a great read :D keep up the good work
    would love to know your thoughts on my video

    Myquestiontag
    Jadiee'sLittleBlog

    Have a nice day

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like such a beautiful city. I really want to see more of europe!! Great photos!

    M xx

    The CSI Girls

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing photos girl!

    http://industrialbarbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh WOW! Incredible pics. Definitely made me want to visit there sometime soon. And in other news, your jacket is gorgeous. Such a lovely colour on you x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne