Life as a Blogger: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

10 August 2015 Eldwick, Bingley, Bingley, West Yorkshire BD16, UK

Blogging has helped me to grow in more ways than I could ever imagine. It's provided me with opportunities and skills I would have never attained without taking the plunge, but that doesn't mean that this hobby is all fun and games. There are a few honest truths about blogging that I have realised over time, which are only natural in such an industry.

THE GOOD
The best thing about blogging is discovering yourself as a person. And not in an 'Eat Pray Love' way, but in a way that helps your distinguish your likes, dislikes and tastes. Before I started blogging, I was all over the place in terms of my individuality. A lack of confidence meant I would often try to imitate those who did have a real sense of assurance. There were plenty of girls who radiated poise and determination, even if they didn't mean to. So in desperate need of that ray of courage I would try to, in a sense, morph myself into a version of that person. It didn't work. It didn't work because it's not who I am, that's something I have to figure out rather than try to fit into pre-made moulds.
Since blogging, I've realised that I have a ridiculously expensive taste, not matter how much it hurts my current account; but, I also love nothing more than trying on a dress designed just for me by my mum. By realising what kind of person I am, who I like to associate with and what style I'm into, my confidence grew. It grew because I became sure of what was on the inside and the outside, which reflected in my natural demeanour. Although I'm not a complete social butterfly and extrovert, my timid trait seems to be backing down. I don't run away from social situations and will happily have a 45 minute discussion on how salted popcorn is better than sweet or how much I love Chris Evans with anyone. I'm also my own boss when I blog, which makes me very happy.

THE BAD
As amazing as blogging is for someone, it also has downsides. I don't want to force these points, but they can't be ignored. When you're a blogger, you're making that element of dedication to an online site based on anything you desire. As someone who's embarrassingly ambitious, I hold certain standards for my blog and, of course, want it to be successful. With that comes a lot of pressure to keep up with the movement of modern times. Whether that's getting the latest gadgets or owning the highest label of clothing. The pressure is there even if it's not spoken of and it can affect anyone.

THE UGLY
Believe it or not, there are sides of blogging even I don't enjoy. When you create your own space on the Internet, aspects of your life are on show for the entire world to see. The more people that see that information, the less control you have. Once something is on the World Wide Web, it's impossible to erase forever. Putting yourself out there takes great courage, but it also means you're open to the opinion of others who have no regard for feelings. Harsh words burn, and are the drive behind the 'ugly' side of blogging. The Internet is something that can be used for so much good, but sadly, it's also an incredibly powerful tool for destruction.

19 comments

  1. I agree with the ugly side of blogging-- as I am a very reserve kind of person-- i'm afraid people will know me-- i find blogging so open to any people around the world-- they can see what you write and what post and even connected to your social media which shows your everyday life which remove your privacy.
    But when i started blogging, i stand firm to myself that I will show the world who I really I am--

    The Bandwagon Chic | Instagram | Bloglovin | Snapchat: bandwagonchic

    ReplyDelete
  2. completely connect to this after being a blogger for two years
    xx
    http://howfittingblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post! I agree with all the above! I love blogging so much but sometimes it does get a little to much with people knowing everything bad about you, but I guess people knowing is better than them thinking your life is always perfect!

    Fix Me In Forty Five - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog
    Blog Lovin' // Instagram
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. blogging is just so calming and its my way of being creative. i can't draw and i can't sing and this is my way of being creative. thats probably the best about it.


    loovelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post. I agree with you with all points you have made. The ugly side of blogging is something I am very disappointed in. But all we can do is look at the bright side and don't let that one side damage everything :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. After being a blogger for only a year I get the points you put across but honestly the good in my opinion is worth all the bad and the ugly. We get to discover ourselves and have the opportunity to sit down and look back at our previous post and chuckle. This makes it worth it right? To see how far we've grown as a person and also to look back on our past expierances.

    CutieStare

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all so true! I feel the same way as you, I love connecting with people online that I wouldn't have met otherwise, but it's downright scary how much information about yourself is put online (voluntarily!) that could potentially backfire. I guess it's part of the reason why "professional" bloggers don't seem to share as much information about themselves.

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  8. Completely agree with everything you wrote! great post x

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. so true with your Points, but I think the good sides just value more than the bad ones and still we enjoy Blogging and love it :) But it's good to think of the bad sides and be careful with some informations :)
    http://lovelyattitude.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anika!!

    I truly loved your post, so much truth in your words. The good side is amazing because, as you've said, I've also learnt a lot from myself and I know who I am and what I want in life. But the ugly part of blogging hit me. We need to be so honest that sometimes we expose ourselves too much and that can be dangerous.

    Cristina, xo // My Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete
  11. It definitely has its good and bad sides! Thankfully it is mostly good. :)

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you on every single word :)

    www.thechicone.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. totally agree with what's been mentioned here!! :D you got all the points correct!

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with everything you wrote, especially about the ugly side of blogging.

    jointyicroissanty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Anika,

    great post! It's kind of scary to post something on World Wide Web knowing that a thousands and millions of people can read it. You really think twice something before you hit PUBLISH button...

    Cannot wait to read more form you!

    Have a nice day,
    Zuzana

    http://allquietonthedreamerfront.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful post. ^^
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi gorgeous!

    I absolutely looove you're blog, the layout, the pictures, the content! :D
    Blogging definitely has it good and bad sides, and I agree with every word you wrote here.

    Love, Layla Rosita

    ReplyDelete


  18. My name is Joyce and my ex-boyfriend dumped me 8 months ago after I caught him of having an affair with someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don't know what to do, so I visited the INTERNET for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problems to him..... he cast a spell for me and assure me of 3 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my man came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Temple of permanent healing, you are truly talented and gifted. dr.jartospellcaster@gmail.com is the only answer to any relationship problem.he can be of great help and I will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man dr.jartospellcaster@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne