8 Steps to the Perfect Personal Development Plan‏

14 September 2015

A PDP is defined as the process of creating an action plan based on awareness, values, reflection, goal-setting and planning for personal development within the context of a career, education, relationship or for self-improvement.

Be clear on your goal
It's important to know what you're actually aiming for. To have a good personal development plan (PDP), there must be some sort of end goal in mind. This needs to be identified before any planning can begin so steps don't become confusing or get mixed up.
Be realistic
Being ambitious isn't a bad thing, but there's a fine line between [ambition] and complete delusion. Starting with a realistic goal will make the creation of a personal development plan much easier. It's good to be out of the box, but straying too far defeats the point of a plan.
Check your commitments
It's great to note down every idea you have, but check your commitments first. Ensure you don't have an set routine that will be in turmoil by events on your PDP. the best thing to do is lay out any commitments you have in the beginning and decide what can be moved around or adjusted.
Be specific
It's essential to know what you want, but it's also [helpful] to be as detailed as possible. This creates a much smoother PDP and helps to make the plan easier to follow when it comes to execution. There's no word limit, so be as specific as possible - don't skip a single thought!
Know why you want it
The whole point of a PDP is to get from A to B in the most efficient way. If there isn't any sort of end goal, the path will become a path to nowhere. Time will be wasted, along with energy and resources. The most successful PDP's are structured for the easiest execution possible.
Set time aside
As someone who works full-time, blogs, has hobbies and so on, it's really hard to find time to focus let alone create a personal development plan. By scheduling time, as little as an hour, just to pull away from reality and start creating ideas for the perfect plan.
Identify your support
A PDP can be put together with no help, but it's nice to know who's around to support you. As mentioned in my Decisions I Made I Don't Regret post, one of the best choices I have made is fading away from fake friends and finding real ones. It's incredibly helpful to focus when you're mind isn't busy worrying about the opinion of others.
Make it personal
A personal development plan has to be personal. Not only does this make it a lot easier to create, but also a lot easier to stick to. Emotions can effortlessly become the motivation behind an action so including the occasional intimate detail can push you to follow through.

21 comments

  1. Very good post! I think it covers PDP perfectly :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such great advice! I love doing things like that! Where did you get that beautiful notebook?! x

    ratherstrangeblog.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, and I especially love that it stresses the importance of knowing why.

    JennifHsieh

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an awesome post! I love all the tips you give and really took notes. Making a PDP has been very difficult for me after I got out of a relationship a year and a half ago, but this kind of information makes it easier

    Natalia | Lindifique

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post!! Love your advice!

    Have a great week!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the inspiration! Fall always brings about a new year for me so setting goals is a must! I love the advice on being realistic.

    be the plebeian

    ReplyDelete
  7. good tips :)
    thanks

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post! Thanks for the tips…

    www.mandybajwa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are very good tips, but life's life and it could be difficult sometimes to follow such hints :)

    xo, Mila
    www.pinkwhistle.com.pl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the post<3 I really like the picture too:)
    If you want to follow my blog, I follow back:)<3 http://livinlikeaileen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel like I write out so many personal development plans, and then a week later I scrap it and decide that's not what I wanted so I write out another personal development plan.

    I think my personal development plan should include trying to stick to one personal development plan, lol.

    Z · HELLOZAUNI.COM

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so helpful! Thanks for sharing.

    ❤︎
    Mercedes Marie
    www.beyondherreality.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love tips like this, Anika! So helpful and great! It helps to get life organised and de-clutter not just the surroundings or things to do but also mind :)
    I also posted on planning here: http://mielandmint.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09/how-to-plan-and-set-effective-goals.html ;)
    xox Nadia
    http://mielandmint.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos and I love love love your style of writing! Keep it up!

    ••• Môj BLOG /KLIK/ •••

    PS: Follow for follow? I always follow back! Let me know! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really love these posts - they inspire me to do more!
    http://nxha.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great advice, I love this. Charlotte :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post! I'm working really hard at making myself the best person I can be right now but I never thought of crafting it into a plan, but now I'm going to give it a go :)

    Liza xx

    www.lizataitbailey.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. So motivational. Definitely got me thinking on my own personal goals. Thanks!

    xo,
    Jeanine
    www.closetadventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anika! Really cool post. I too have become a lover of personal development and self-growth - even though I'm a teen and it's not particularly popular in our field haha. This has some great tips, that follow some points on my blog too.

    Roli x
    www.roliedema.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This post is so helpful and positive!

    www.ohsobecky.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne