My Blogging Process

28 September 2015

After reading over a few different posts from bloggers I admire, I thought it would be nice to share my own blogging steps on Anika May. Blogging is a hobby that's brought out the routine-loving, schedule fanatic in me which has affected my process in creating a blog post and promoting it. Although I don't always stick to the plan, and can become easily distracted, there is a set process that has developed, especially as I begin to fall further in love with blogging.
FIND INSPIRATION
This isn't difficult for me to do. I read a shocking amount of magazines and could spend hours browsing Tumblr and Pinterest, a habit I'm trying to relax. For me, inspiration can be found in so many different ways. Sometimes it can be motivation after a rubbish day at work or an amazing photography job found through another blog. I carry an ideas notebook with me to jot down anything I may come up with.
CREATE A FIRST DRAFT/CREATE NOTES
After creating an idea in my mind, the best thing to do is create a draft post, even if I never touch it again. I type in everything, from phrases to use and the type of photos I will take. If I already have pictures, I can write around this but I prefer to actually create the text first.
SCHEDULE TIME
When I work on a post, it's really important that I take the time to focus rather than string together whatever ideas remain in my mind. Because I'm so busy with work at the moment, I use my day planner and multiple calendars to basically timetable my free time between blogging and relaxing. This stops me from panicking about a lack of posts or the frequency of my presence online.
TAKE THE PHOTOS
On occasion, I have photos just sitting in folders on my computer, waiting to have a post attached to them. However, most of the time, I will take photos to match ideas that I already have. This is one of the most important steps in my blogging process because I love nothing more than beginning a post on Anika May with a great photo. The type of photo varies, if I have a new outfit, I'll shoot it immediately; or if I come up with a new lifestyle post, I'll find the relevant objects to shoot.
WRITE THE POST
This could be the hardest and easiest part of blogging. It's really important to me that my writing style develops and grows as my blog does; writing is the reason I began blogging in the first place. I always like the have an element of my voice or personality in whatever I write, whether it's through brackets for side comments (a habit I struggle to break) or my typical Northern dialect as a good ol' Yorkshire lass.
EDIT, EDIT AND EDIT
After taking photos and writing the post, I edit everything. I usually insert photos at the very last minute, partially because they're enormous and can be difficult to navigate around. This is also because I like to change photos to suit the tone of the post. I'm also a little bit of a perfectionist, meaning the editing process is incredibly vital and valuable.
LAST MINUTE CHECKS
Before pressing 'Publish', I check everything. Re-reading text, over-analysing photographs and taking an overall look at the preview. It's common for me to include spelling mitsakes mistakes or mix words up if I type too quickly. Checking this before I schedule the post to go live will avoid panicking if I spot this later.
PUBLISH AND PROMOTE
Finally, once all my perfectionist tendencies are settled, I publish the post. Sometimes this will be published automatically which is more common for off-the-cuff or spontaneous posts. However, because I work full time, I'm not always at home to work, so I will prepare a post before and schedule this. Once a post is up on my blog (usually from around 6am) I promote this throughout the day. This could be through my social networks or by leaving a little link at the end of a comment when I visit other blogs.

Now that the colder weather is here, there's nothing I enjoy more that curling up in bed with my laptop and creating a product for Anika May. My process seems pretty complex when laid out but is actually quite simple and effective enough for me. Do you have a blogging process? Is it any similar to mine?

19 comments

  1. This was a nice read! You are so organised when it comes to blogging, and in a way having a precise schedule is the best way to keep things going at the good pace. We can see from your words that you really love the whole process of blogging, that's great!

    Julia xx
    Discover the Jardin des Plantes in Paris with me: http://juliaspeaksbeauty.blogspot.fr/2015/09/exploring-paris-science-at-jardin-des.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this post Anika, such a simple concept but actually unique and so interesting. Really loved reading this!

    Elle
    www.theellenextdoor.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tips! good to know I'm not the only perfectionist out there stressing about the photography, as well as the text <3

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. My blogging process is quite similar to yours. I am more on a laid back side too. I like to write down all my ideas that I came up with, then try to write a draft, even if it won't make it to my blog, just to try it out, I guess. I also like to make sure that everything is as perfect as it can be :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like these posts, so interesting to see how other bloggers work :)

    Claire | Stylingo.co.uk | xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've got a great mind set and schedule of how you do things. I really enjoyed reading this
    Charlotte // charlottespicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool! :)

    http://sbr-fashion-fashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post is inspiring in more ways than one Anika! Thanks for sharing! ;)
    ♥♥♥
    Jeanne
    http://fashionmusingsdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you are so organised when it comes to blogging! I just write which is nothing in comparison. You have a great work ethic and it really shows :) xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love how organized you are! Thanks for sharing your process with us.

    http://www.racheldinh.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your concept, anika♥♥

    chocolateandsunset.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually found this helpful as I am new to blogging and definitely need tips with stuff like this, so thank you! <3

    http://dailyjosefine.blogspot.dk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is quite the process.
    I always love to see how other people work
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a nice post! Loved to see how other bloggers do their thing! The photos are so cute! x

    clumsyagenda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. My process is pretty similar, but I schedule way ahead to destress, up to three months. Where do you promote your posts?

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this post.
    It can be soo hard to not get caught up jobs and studies and neglect your blog, so it's great to hear your tips.


    http://herfashionmemoir.com x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great post! You are so much more organized than me, haha. Lovely blog :)

    http://splitneedles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow totally love this post! Truly informative and inspiring. Loved your blog!

    If you feel like please give me a visit @ www.thepositivewindow.com
    And if you follow me please let me know..

    xx
    Epsita

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne