Why the Opinions of Others Shouldn't Bring You Down

21 October 2015

"How do you maintain such a care-free attitude?"

Getting here wasn't easy. There was no rainbow-filled road surrounded by sunshine and smiles, it took a few down days and plenty of eye-opening experiences to realise the only opinion that really matters is mine. If you've followed my blog for a while, you'll know I grew up as a painfully shy introvert surrounded by family and friends who were quite the opposite. I often found it very difficult to find someone to relate to, which made me feel more uncomfortable in my own skin.As time passed, my teenage years were not simple. Like most, there were amazing moments and areas I would rather forget. But each event has helped to shape the person I am today.

My personality hasn't changed, I still have the same sense of humour and traits, but my train of thought and mindset altered in a way that makes me much more confident. It's almost heart-warming to look back at how much I have come out of my shell... as narcissistic as that sounds. I understand not everyone is in my position, but over my nineteen years of life, there are a few tips I stick by that help keep my brain happy

Develop an attitude. A level of my confidence comes from my attitude, as in that weird teenage "I hate everything" attitude you develop from around fourteen onwards. There's a part of this outlook that really helps with ignoring the 'haters'. This doesn't mean you have to say anything, but it's all in your head. Get the brain in the right place, and the rest will follow. Having a strong attitude has helped me to gain a tough skin which is handy in the working world. If you have the right attitude to a poor opinion, it won't mean anything to you.

Don't compare. This will always be a no-no. I learned the hard way and it wasn't pleasant. Sometimes things other people say have no meaning or purpose. There are mean people everywhere, and sadly it's something that one person doesn't have the power to change.  Instead of repeating the harsh words over and over (because I know that's what you do), try and wipe them completely out of your mind by acknowledging the comment with pride and moving on.

Embrace it. I think part of the reason the opinion of others got to me was because I actually cared about their opinion. My mind instinctively became troubled at the idea of someone disliking me or finding something wrong with me - not the way to go. This tip goes hand in hand with having a confident attitude, as it's time for our generation to be selfish, but in a good way. Just think: "it doesn't actually matter"... or be super Sasha Fierce feisty and take it as a compliment. 

So, when another voice gets to you, what do you do? 

21 comments

  1. such good tips for women (and men!) of all ages :)

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really great things to start doing if you want to learn how to not let others opinions matter to you. I struggled a lot with it few years ago and I still do a bit, but not so much anymore. I started developing this kind of thinking in my head that if people are harsh to you and criticise it is probably because they are not happy inside and are dealing with something in their home or just with themselves. And most importantly, I try to teach myself that only my own opinion about me matters the most, others can only advice me, but not effect me 100% :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this post! That problem is related to most of us. After working few years in customer service I know exactly how not to over-stress and don't get hurt by others opinion)

    Tanya
    www.StripesNVibes.com
    BlogLovin

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely a tough thing to get over, but so much better when you do. For me, it just came with growing older and being comfortable with myself. I think having a sense of humour helps too because you can just laugh that sort of nonsense off and get on with your life!
    Laura x FloraLooTwo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these words, and you are great writer.

    Linda

    http://www.missydressesau.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I like its important not to compare yourself - we are all different and we should embrace that

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey dear. Just looking for new blogs and I saw yours :D Its super nice. I think you should post more.


    here are my links and if you like to follow just follow and leave me your links aswell and I'll
    follow back!



    -My 90's Bombshell Outfits-

    | Facebook | LOOKBOOK| IG@suvarna_gold | Bloglovin
    | Advertise your blog
    kiss from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely love this! Thank you so much for sharing these tips with us. I think it is super important for each and everyone of us to stand behind ourselves and don't let others bring us down!

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh such a great and inspirational post! Always do things for you, to make you happy! You have so many great ideas, don't let anyone's opinion distract you from them :D xx

    elizabeth | ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | bloglovin follow for follow

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really loved reading this blog post! Thanks for sharing!

    Isabel
    http://bellasfashionjournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a lovely post, it's so important to just shake off the haters and do what makes you happy. Thanks for sharing this!
    xo Kiki
    http://colormekiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was so exhausting caring so much about others opinions. I've come a long way but there is always progress to be made x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love this post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post! Thanks for sharing!!! :D
    www.lenparent.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing post, I love it! Hope you have a great day. Hugs from Sweden.

    https://itsjustteng.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you're incredibly mature for a 19 year old (hope that doesn't sound patronising!) I wish I was as clued up at your age! I'm in my late 20s and it's only recently that I've learnt to brush trivial things off.

    Great blog, so glad I've stumbled across this and looking forward to reading more posts :)

    - Lubna
    http://www.thedigitalreview.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne