What to Do When You're Uninspired

9 November 2015

The most obvious answer would be to: find inspiration; but there are plenty of ways to do this without it feeling like a burden.
Get online.
This is something I usual do without effort anyway, but one the ways I find inspiration in many forms is from other people. Social media such as Instagram and Tumblr are my favourites for finding the perfect photo or post idea. Likewise, Pinterest has the ability to create ideas and inspire in every category on the earth, from weddings to house interiors and workouts.
I have quite a lot of boards dedicated to fashion and style, as well as some of the other loves like beauty, TV shows and even food. All of a sudden, I could be scrolling through a feed and come up with an idea the exact moment I'm not expecting it. Social media is great for learning from others while getting to know new people simultaneously.

Get creative.
I like to think I'm a creative person, both my parents are in creative professions and I think this does inspire me on occasion, however sometimes I just can't be bothered to get the acrylics out and construct a 'masterpiece'. However, there are other ways to be creative that will inspire a positive train of thought and generative some motivation and ideas. Creating a moodboard, whether it's on a wall or in a scrapbook is great for putting everything on your mind in one place. They can be centred around anything and look great once the final piece is complete. I have a mood wall behind my desk and computer, filled with images of places I would like to visit, souvenirs from places I've been and photos with quotes and art to help inspire me when I'm typing away during the week. 

Get help.
Reaching the ultimate procrastination point is poisonous to enthusiasm. When the level of inspiration is at an all-time low, one of the simplest things to do is call upon a trusted associate in time of need. I tend to find someone who's creative in their own right and could sprinkle a little incentive over me to help me reach some form of a revelation. A few of my blogs posts have been inspired from family of friends. When I meet friends for coffee, I'll also take along my iPad in case anything suddenly springs to mind.
Get outside.
I luckily live in quite a scenic area of Yorkshire so taking a quiet walk is easy and being alone with my thoughts does help to clear my mind. I could be with or without music, but sometimes some of my longer or deeper blogposts have come from an idea inspired while I was out in the fresh air. If I'm looking for a lot more motivation, picking up my laptop, heading out the door and finding somewhere to sit and type is ideal. I'm not distracted by anything else going on and blogging becomes my main focus, plus there's usually no wifi.

There are many ways to escape the feeling of being uninspired without spending too much money or using more energy than needed. How do you find motivation?

15 comments

  1. I love scrolling through Pinterest! SO much inspiration! I agree social media can be an amazing source for inspiration :) also with going outside, I find it relaxes me so much and then you know creative juices start flowing! I'll always take a break outside whenever I get stuck on an assignment! Or start playing music or change to a different album or genre of music helps me :) Em xx

    http://edoublemamurray.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am currently facing that slump as well - I find that taking a break and relaxing helps me

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always feel inspired after getting out and seeing an art gallery or exhibition

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great ways to gain inspiration. I usually listen to inspiring speeches online or go through WeHeartIt and look at pictures that can get me inspired. It really helps for me. I guess, you just have to find a way that helps YOU to stay inspired :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely loved these tips. I've had a pretty uninspired and dul week last week and feel like taking 2 days off helped me a lot with getting back on track again :)

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post and so useful definitely saving this one! I definitely find motivation for blog posts through social media pictures and other blogs, so inspiring! And getting outside - I love this one! Yorkshire is so beautiful, I absolutely love being in York for uni, it's stunning! And you're so right, sometimes getting a coffee on my own and watching the world go buy or being around the stunning scenery can really spark new creativity and ideas!

    josievictoriaa / fashion, travel and lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love finding inspiration from other blogs, tumblr and pintrest! I wish I still lived near the beach, so I could go for walks there! XO

    Courtney | Courtselizabeth | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like going for walks - it clear my mind and lets inspiration come through.

    Jenn | Jennifer Jayne | Enter my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so inspired from pictures I've seen on Pinterest! I also have a moodboard but have recently organised it a bit more by removing pictures, tickets or cards that don't inspire me anymore and replacing them with things that do. Your blog also inspires me a lot and is one that I was immediately drawn to so keep it up :)
    http://nxha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. great post! I always tend to forget to get help when i need it, especially when im procrastinating
    i think it is a really good idea just to talk to someone!

    thanks for sharing! i feel very inspired haha! xx

    www.keelieskloset.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely post! Getting outside is usually my go to strategy to find some inspiration, but Pinterest and Instagram come at a close second! Such beautiful images are bound to inspire xo

    My Lovelier Days

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! x thanks for sharing this!

    www.ashrealasitgets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favourite post ever. Thanks for the helpful tips, im defo going to share these!
    Dannika x
    http://dannikaswardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post! I totally agree with the getting outside for inspiration! It's usually on walks where I'll see something that may spark an idea for posts.

    Meg | A Little Twist Of…

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne