Why I Like to Keep a Journal

8 December 2015


Diary, journal, feelings book - whatever you want to call it, an area where you can note down your thoughts and feelings isn't just for the youngsters. Keeping a journal is a really great way to keep your mind at ease and decrease the chances of anxiety attacks.

When I was younger, I was always on of those girls who thought they were in a CBBC series about themselves, narrating everything in my head and keeping a diary full of reflection and secrets that began with the phrase "Dear diary...". I even had one of those voice controlled password diaries by Girl Tech, and in 2004, it was the most amazing invention I ever owned. As I look back, I've realised there's was always something I loved about writing things down, writing is an enormous passion of mine and a skill I like to refine as much as possible.
Keeping a diary is something that can be quite difficult, as I often forget to record things or hide it within my enormous stash of notebooks, never to be found again. The biggest bonus for me is being able to note down how I'm feeling, especially if it's something negative. Getting all those feelings on one page can be helpful in clearing your mind and putting things into perspective. When I'm really frustrated, pulling out a journal and scribbling loads of thoughts on a page makes me feel much better. Bottling it up never has a practical outcome. Diaries are a great method of therapy - and free!
Writing special moments in a journal is also a great way to record positive thoughts and memories. I love photo albums, but something that I also like to look back on are old diaries which never fail to make me laugh. Some of the "problems" I experienced at 9 years old are nothing short of hilarious, whether it's not being treated fairly during bulldogs charge or accidentally tearing a poster cut out of my Top of the Pops magazine. A diary holds every aspect of emotion on one page.

I think there are so many advantageous reasons to keep a journal, whether you want to be creative or make some amazing memoirs!

19 comments

  1. Oh I'm the same. I feel like writting down lists calms you down and makes you feel like you have your life together (even when in reality you don't ^^)

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree, Anika. Journals help me to kind of sort my feelings, thoughts out. Especially as you said the negative ones, you can actually see them in the different perspective when they are written down :) x

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I have got loads and they help me deal with stuff, remember amazing times and they are really relaxing!
    www.fixmeinfortyfive.com - A Beauty & Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing post! xo

    www.eatlovemerry.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started writing in a journal the other day and I've already seen an improvement in my mentality. I do it in the morning and it really helps ease my mind. Great post.

    xo,
    Sara Kate Styling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your post Anika! I also like having a diary to relax and help with anxiety!! Xx

    xoxo - Life’s True Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a big journal person as well. I have note books everywhere! ♥

    Happy Thursday!
    xoxo Suzy ( ˘ ³˘)♥
    THE KAWAII PLANET

    ReplyDelete
  8. I 100% agree with this! I love writing in journals, but I always forget and end up doing it about once a month.. oops.. However, I do have an obsession with notebooks and journals, so I'm never out of writing space haha! Great post!!
    leavingericafootprints.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I could be one of those people who could keep a journal, but I can't haha. It's just not really in me to do that, and in fact it actually stresses me out a bit cause I feel the need to write something in it every day, and feel guilty when I don't write in it for a while. One thing I do love is the actual journals themselves, though - I love that they come in so many styles and colors and whatnot, it's something I really like to collect!

    becky ♡ star violet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing in a notebook or a journal or a diary is definitely a habit I have kept from my early tween days til now, though I've expanded to include digital versions of diaries, too. I still have to maintain my love for physical notebooks, though, because there's nothing quite like writing out your feelings in ink and seeing it etch paper in intricate veins, semi-permanent.

    May | THE MAYDEN | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing journal ! :)
    please follow my blog : THE COLORFUL THOUGHTS

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have tons of them too! Lovely photos ♡

    Have a nice day xx Love from Slovakia ~
    ♡ ESTÉE LAUDER ♡

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, for keeping a journal - sometimes it is even better than a blog :)
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such cute books! I kept a journal/scrapbook all through my teenage years and would love to maintain one, except now I have a little boy and there is always something to do as soon as I get my pens out xD maybe one day I will again! xx

    elizabeth | ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | follow for follow on bloglovin or instagram :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful post! I completely agree, writing everything down is the best therapy. In high-school I was going through some bad times, so writing in my journal helped a lot. Even though everything`s fine now, I still like to write from time to time. Instead of a daily journal, now I have a travel journal, where I write about my holidays.

    http://www.beautynerd.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. Agree. Sometimes you just feel helpless and writing things down just soothes you and you feel much sorted out.


    With Love,
    Anna || Curly Scribbles

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this post. I've always been a natural journaler, even if I wasn't keep a physical one at the time, I used livejournal and other blogging platforms to express myself. I really have found it so therapeutic and it's really funny to see how much your mind changes, even over just a few months. x

    Erin | beingerin.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne