Things I Miss About School

8 February 2016

Food
While in school, I never valued the food that was available at my fingertips. School lunches were never gourmet meals in my eyes, but always a reasonable price and ready whenever I need them. Now that I work from Monday to Friday, and have realised I can no longer afford to have Starbucks every day, I really miss being able to pick up an affordable sandwich with the swipe of a card at school and finding somewhere safe and clean to eat it. Every day I have to make a conscious effort to make my lunch which I ironically never have time to do.

Friends
I do have friends at work, but we can't spend an hour gossiping about drama from trashy TV shows or discussing the latest office rumours. Work is for work, and although you should gave the same attitude at school, messing around with your friends is fun. Having friends at school means you can go through the troubling exams together and have a group of people you look forwards to seeing everyday.

Going home at 2:45
The 'home time' for each school varies, some are late and some, like mine are quite early. I remember my first day at work, and it got to around 3 o'clock and I was already happy to leave. Sadly, I still had another two hours to go before I could even think of leaving. Getting home while it's still light out is behind me now, but it's definitely something I miss.

Homework
This may sound like a bit of a strange one, but I really like doing homework. I used to enjoy getting stuck in a huge project and spending loads of my free time experimenting with different ways or creating something new. I wasn't a huge fan of 5,000 word-essays at the time, but reading through a 200lb textbook doesn't seem that bad any more. 

Holidays
When it got to around Easter-time this year, I realised there's no time off unless I ask for time off and even then it's not that long. When I see my younger sister getting excited for the random two weeks she has off in the autumn or the extra long week during March, I can't help but wish I could experience holidays like this again. Secular work does have holiday time, but it's usually around 28 days rather than six weeks.

Uniforms
If there's one thing that's become extremely expensive since I started working, it's clothing. As a fashion fanatic, I naturally want to try out new looks and trends I see when I'm out and about. I'm surrounded by shopping centres and markets so it's very difficult to avoid, but when I was in school, what I wore was the least of my worries and the carefree mindset was the only one I had.

13 comments

  1. Absolutely love this. Sometimes I really miss school and kinda regret having thought that once school is over things will get better. Especially the friends part makes such a difference - I do have friends at uni but it's so different from seeing the same faces basically every day for 8 years :D

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these will be the things I will miss once I am out of school in few months too. I already pity myself that I won't have holidays anymore and that a lot of work will be waiting for me in the near future :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, I'm surely gonna miss school after I graduate. Actually in my opinion, high school and university already has a huge difference and I miss high school so much!

    Winona | winonawu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree with this! I always tell anyone in school to savor it and create some good memories because it won't last forever!

    xo, Alice || a l i c e / T Y P E N U

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss uniforms too, having to choose a new outfit every day is such a stress. I also really miss the chocolate concrete cakes my school made!

    Lauren x | www.laurenapowers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this! And we have the same name!

    xx closetchronicle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Graduating is so rough. But don't worry, you're not crazy to miss homework. I agree with almost all of these except for the food. I was on Georgia Tech's meal plan only for freshman year and I wish I wasn't on it then. The food was horrible!

    Your Own Queen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss some of those things too, but in my last job, I had a group of coworkers that were more like friends, and we did spent a lot of time gossiping about everything.

    lu | Giveaway at Coco & Louis

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely miss the holidays lol

    Kisses,
    BLOG | TAISLANY

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really do miss school now!
    http://www.yukovablog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Agree with everything in this post! I really like your blog, let me know if you would like to follow each other! x
    adelelydia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not really sure about homeworks but I agree the rest !

    xo,

    www.sahara-desert.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely miss finishing early and long holidays, something I didn't think I took for granted when I was in school but I wish I had taken the time to do more and invest in exploring my city and attending events afterwards

    secret-hipster.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne