Six Ways to Make Your Lunch Break More Exciting

9 March 2016

Lunch could easily be described as the best part of a working day. There's no stress and there's food - what else do you need? However, a lunch break can be boring if there isn't much to do. I've read articles on making the most of the lunch time we have, or managing motivation levels to be most productive during lunch - but none of them really made much sense to me. There's a certain mental attitude that will make lunch better, but there are also physical tasks that can be done to create an entertaining environment. I see my lunch as a break away from my job, so the last thing I want to be doing is... my job. There are only so many to-do lists that can be written and windows to stare out of. For some, a lunch break can drag on for way too long; but I have several methods of making that magical hour a lot more exciting.

Read a Book
I absolutely love to read, it expands my vocabulary and is literally like having a movie play in your mind. I read books on my commute to work but it's only 15 minutes so I usually have to close a chapter just where it's getting good. When I reach my lunch hour, I can't wait to pull out my iPad and get stuck in again. If you find a book you're really into, it's very difficult to notice the time passing by.

Get Crafty
In my lunch room, there are often people knitted or even sketching. I'm not the most crafty person myself, but my office has de-stress colouring books in the breakout area, and they're actually a load of fun. I can't draw to save my life, honestly, it's just shocking - but doodling in a notebook or creating a masterpiece is a great method of letting the time pass by.

Nap
I find it very difficult to fall asleep in a public place, I have never understood how people sleep on a bus. In my office, I have also spotted a few employees taking a quick power nap after they've eaten to catch up on lost sleep. I'm no stranger to naps, and I know whenever I have one, I feel fantastic afterwards.

Refine a Skill
Writing on my lunch break is one of my favourite things to do. Whether it's a formal post for a website or a friendly and less formal piece like my blogposts, I love to improve my techniques and read up on how to get better. When at work, I'm already focused on the tasks I have throughout the day so I don't find it difficult to type up a few blog posts.

Download media
If you follow my blog or know me well, it will become fairly obviously that I have a small but steady addition to Netflix or getting stuck in a good series. I prefer to rent films for work which means no worrying about data flickering on and off or 4G disappearing. If I'm really into a show or film, I never notice the hour passing by and have a really enjoyable lunch.

Bring Headphones
All of my blogposts are written with music playing in the background, sometimes that even effects the way my posts come across. For example, listening to Beyoncé seems to make me a lot more sassy and direct, but jamming to a Passion Pit playlist helps me to appear more carefree. Even when not writing, I like to listen to music because in my opinion: silence gets boring. Scrolling through social media and watching funny videos would be no fun without headphones either.

19 comments

  1. First of all, that's such a pretty meal flatlay :) Secondly, bringing headphones is always a good idea and I love how you mention how certain music makes you write in different ways!

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always on social media not that I really get a break

    Beauty Candy Loves

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read other blogs or writing my own post while on a break, or sometimes I am browsing through instagram and drooling over other people's great photos!! haha :) Nice post love!
    Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com.cy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello from Spain: I really like your tips. keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  5. first of all i love your meal, then I agree with you
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly, your flatlay is AMAZING!

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that sticker on your mac! So cute! Great post.

    kisses
    http://shinkusara.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved reading this and I agree, lunch is the best part of the working day. My favourite things to do during lunch break are definitely reading and watching Netflix - at my last job I sometimes watched the beginning of a movie so that I had something to look forward to after work. ;) x

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm an at-work knitter! I love the skill refining tip, too! All of my coding experience is from practicing during lunch!

    Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post! Photography is gorgeous as well. I always have headphones at my desk so I can tune out haha x

    Laurzrah 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovelyy!!! Totoro hihihih

    www.elizabethangelia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are great tips! I'm usually working through my lunch but I think one of these days I'd love to slow down and just listen to some music.

    xo, alice / T Y P E N U

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice tips! love your blog btw..

    mind to follow each others? lemme know :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So true! And your Totoro laptop sticker is adorable. x

    WWW.PALEDIVISION.COM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yesss - refine a skill, suuuch a good idea!!!!
    http://www.pret-a-reporter.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great tips, especially as I have bought a load of books from the charity shop to get through! Reading is a nice distraction! And I cannot stress enough how headphones are life! I feel so lost without them I have 3 pairs hahaha!

    Shannon ~ Shannonkara.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I need a good pair of headphones. I've been meaning to pull the trigger, but haven't just yet. I love the photo above and that Tottoro skin on that laptop totally caught my eye and I had to tell you I loved it!
    Xo,
    Miki
    http://mikialamode.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne