10 Perks of Being a Tall Girl

4 April 2016 Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK

Growing up tall was something I always saw as a challenge. It can be awkward and uncomfortable, especially if you don’t like the spotlight. I used to always wish I was short, just because that seemed to be the idea size for a girl and there were never any articles or websites on positive tips for tall women. Unless you’re a model or celebrity, being tall isn’t the easiest thing in the world. Over time, I’ve come to realise being tall isn’t a bad thing and actually has its perks. Being a tall girl doesn’t mean you aren’t feminine or girly; it’s just another body type. So today’s post is pointing out some of the perks I’ve found, being a tall girl. I’m 5’11” which is what I would consider tall in comparison to my friends and colleagues.

Disclaimer: This post is in no way bashing or hating on anyone who is shorter than me or considers themselves short. It’s just a way to build up those who are tall and should be proud and never ashamed. It’s a post not to be taken too seriously, and purely for entertainment. Trust me, I didn’t do any scientific research. I’m not boasting at all, and am more than aware that being tall does have disadvantages like all body types. 

#01 Long Legs
I would consider having long legs the most important perk of all.  Being tall usually comes with pretty longs legs. Some girls have longer bodies, but their legs are still longer than average. For me, my inside leg length is 36”, which is apparently very long. Having long legs is great for an overall image, it helps you to appear slimmer and taller than you actually are. Although, shaving can be really annoying.

#02 Being taken seriously from a young age
Being a tall girl means you were a tall child. I remember at around eleven years old and up, I was always mistaken for shop assistants and store staff. This would happen to me while still being in primary school. But it’s definitely a perk. Adults automatically assume you’re older which helps you to feel more mature. It also means you don’t get refused from rollercoasters.

#03 Easily noticeable
It’s hard to ignore a tall person. No matter how hard you try, someone who is taller will always stand out and it’s not always a bad thing. I used to try and hide myself among the crowd, but now I stand tall meaning others have to look up to me. Getting a lot of attention used to be my worst nightmare, but if it’s for my height – I’m happy to take it.

#04 Tall compliments
Not that being described with adjectives such as “statuesque” and “model-esque” happen every day, but when they do, your day is made. “You should totally model” was said to me once and I kid you not, my mood was lifted for about three years. Of course, strangers don’t approach in the street and tell me I look good, but even hearing it from peers is a good feeling.

#06 Being able to reach things
Reaching something a little further away? There’s no struggle there. Getting things from the top shelf? Never a problem. A tall body is built with long limbs which means less time asking someone to get something for you. But it’s not just objects that are easy to reach, kissing doesn’t result in the pointe pose and he gets less trips to the chiropractor.

#07 Intimidating others without being intimidating
Naturally, humans are intimidated by bigger humans. I’ve always been a ridiculously shy person, and would never approach someone on my own. When you’re lacking in confidence and tall, it’s good to remember than people can assume you’re confidence because you’re tall. It’s a strange thing to comprehend, but friends have told me that from their first impression, they thought I was super-confident; when in fact I’m really not. 

#08 Sports advantage
Sometimes when you’re tall, all you have to do is show up and you’re moderately good at a sport. Netball was always my sport. I played others, but there are some practises that require skill and co-ordination that I was built without. Netball including a lot of jumping, reaching and intercepting. Techniques that are easier with a few extra inches. Plus, shooting was always easier as I’m closer to the net.

#09 Great hugs
I’ve always found that people who are taller than me give great hugs. Boy or girl, when someone larger than you gives you a good squeeze, it’s comforting and mood-lifting. I’ve never assessed my own hugging skills, but I would never reject a solid hug from someone who towers above.  

#10 Heels or no heels
Before the age of sixteen, I never wore heels. Being so tall results in attention on me and that was something I could never handle. Well, how things have changed – I can’t resist an amazing pair. Not only do they make my legs look even longer, but they slim down my overall image and that’s something I could never turn down. However, I don’t have to wear heels if I don’t want to and can still appear taller than most people.   

I hope you enjoyed this post! Please let me know in the comments if you've found any other advantages of being tall. Also, if you're a petite girl, let me know advantages you've found too!

11 comments

  1. I was always the tallest in school and even now I don't know many women taller than me. Loved the post and related to it so much. Thanks :)

    Have a pretty day,
    Kayleigh xo
    havea-prettyday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am tiny, oh how I would love to have long legs

    Lauren x | www.laurenapowers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I am 5'10 (and a half) shout out to the tall girls.

    xx Falasha
    Bite My Fashion ll Instagram ll Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being able to reach for things AND getting treated with respect are why I love being medium-tall! :)

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that you found all the positives in something that might intimidate other people :) Amen to long legs. I'm about 5'6" and proportion wise, I have a long torso and short legs which makes coordinating my outfits to make my legs look longer something to think about, ha!


    Jasmine | The Sixth Disney Princess

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm 5'10" and agree that being tall definitely has its perks - love my height! Also, being able to ride on rollercoasters at a younger age was so nice haha

    xo, mikéla / simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am tiny and I really enjoyed reading your post!
    I just moved so currently my favourite advantage of being small: When I'm sitting in the car, I can fit a new wardrobe into the back of the car and still sit normally, yaay!

    Cheryl | SwissBeautyTalk

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am tall, but most of these things had never occurred to me! Thank you!
    April xx

    | APRIL ROSE PENGILLY |

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was nice to read :) I used to be *really* tall but I kind of slowed and everyone else caught up a bit by my teens so now I'm just 'normal tall' haha. I do often find it's a bit easier to be heard and not be spoken over in a group when you're a bit taller than everyone else! xx

    Jasmine Talks Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel you girl! I'm 5'8" and all my girlfriends were (and still are) always shorter than me haha :)
    Team Long Legs though!

    Mari
    www.randomstein.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne