Black and Blue

28 April 2016 Eldwick, Bingley, West Yorkshire

My style is always changing, and although I don't like to look back at the abomination of a closet I previously owned, it is nice to dig out old pieces that I haven't worn since being back in school. I wouldn't go as far back as the high-waisted, denim-pleated, mini skirt I bought from Jane Norman in three different colours because I thought it was the greatest fashion item since neon leg warmers from Internacionale. The idea of carrying my BANK drawstring bag with any outfit is hilariously cringworthy too!
At the moment, the UK is experiencing the weirdest weather and I don't really know how to dress for it. It's sort of cold, but the sun's out, but it's not quite warm, but warm enough to leave the house without thirty layers on. You can easily experience all four seasons in one day. As the weather is so unpredictable, I like to stick to a really basic outfit, that is adaptable and comfy to wear. This jumper dress is one of my favourites during this turbulent time, and I only realised I had it a few days ago. The dress is one of those wardrobe items that is always there, and always forgotten. It's been in the bottom of my closet for as long as I can remember, and it was the ideal piece of clothing during the tortuous days of sixth form. One of my favourite things about the dress is that it can't really go out of style, because it's so basic. The simple design was created by my mum (who's a designer), because I wanted a really easy wardrobe for school. Turns out, this dress could be my must-have for the rest of my life!
My jumper dress is incredibly warm, meaning I don't have to feel stuffed with a load of layers on top. I bought this light mac from Primark during the summer, after spending months looking for an inexpensive jacket to wear during the odd weather weeks. Since the purchase, this coat has become one of the most-worn items on my clothing rail. The great thing about it, is that it's just so simple. The light jacket fits easily over and under clothing, and can be dressed up or down. I've even worn it to a wedding! On top of my mac, I used to carry this Topshop bag absolutely everywhere with me while at school. The size was perfect, and the faux leather is really light. Sadly, it's no longer in stores but I'm glad it's stayed in such amazing condition. Similarly, my lace-up pumps from Next have lasted a really long time. The suede fabric is often paired with dresses as the texture works really well against other fabrics and they stand out better. The pumps are completely flat and super soft, adding extra comfort. 
 Coat - Primark // Dress - homemade // Bag - Topshop (similar) // Shoes - Next (similar) // Sunglasses - Next

55 comments

  1. That dress is beautiful - your mum is very talented! I agree it's something you can wear for a long time, such a classic cut.

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how personal style evolves. This colour looks epic on you, thanks for sharing, beautiful dress x

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, the Jane Norman and and Bank bag!!! I could of done without having them flashbacks! lol. I also had a JD Sports bag... good lord lol.
    Your outfit is lovely hun, and love the colour of the jumper x

    themakeupartistschoice.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful outfit, I love the dress, it's so simple and chic! Your mother is really talented, I wish I could design clothes. And I also cringe when thinking about my old wardrobe haha but I think we all do. xx

    113-things-to-say.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL DRESS <3
    XOXO

    http://mypersonalkloset.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love the combo! Sooooooo flattering <3
    What a great inspo!! The dress is gorgeous, want it too!

    xoxo, Colli
    tobeyoutiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personal style is a reflection of your growth and yours looks classic. Your homemade dress is definitely something that is authentic and original, it looks gorgeous on you!

    Myra, myramyla.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't wear my school stuff if I wanted to, none of it still fits me.

    Linda, Libra, Loca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the color of your dress. I too have so many clothes from way, way back. But I recently purged my wardrobe and had to let go of hundreds (literally) of clothes.

    I know how you feel about that certain piece of cloth that is always there but always forgotten. :)

    Jenn
    The Pink Lemonade Girl

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your dress & it is beautiful!

    www.luv4beautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blue and black are always great combination, lovely look xoxo

    http://thefurthestthingfromperfect.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the combo color black and blue. Very perfect look and I love your shoes! :)
    Kiss
    Luna
    http://www.fashionsnobber.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a pretty outfit! x

    jess x | wellwellgirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. great look! that dress does look so cozy!
    Xx
    Kali
    www.lovelaughexplore.com
    @love_laugh_explore

    ReplyDelete
  15. The outfit's great! I like the pale blue with the black.

    Jane / deluminators

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely outfit! I love your dress. Your mother sure knows what she's doing :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this color combo and minimalist style!

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a cute look! Love the simplicity of it, and that trench!

    http://www.littleblackshell.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great transition look! Love it, Xx

    Nikki | www.nikkibstyles.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look fabulous! Love this color combo! That coat is so chic!

    <3 Shannon
    Upbeat Soles

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha totally agree about the Bank bags and Jane Norman!! Love this outfit, looks so simple yet stunning!

    heart-autumn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. As we grow, our style also evolves, I would like to think so anyways. Ha!!
    Please don't get me started on the UK weather. Its ......... (indescribable!)
    You look great in this effortless casual outfit. I have a similar trench from Primark too.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I got excited there when I saw Yorkshire, because I live in West Yorkshire too. But just saw that you're in Bingley. Ha!!

    missymayification.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  23. That dress is such a pretty color!


    www.prettyinleather.net

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the coat! I need something lightweight like that so bad! Jealous you got it in Primark, I can never find anything in there!

    Danielle's Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would have never thought to wear lace ups with a pair of tights but it's totally working for you! Love the look.

    xx, Danielle | Pineapple & Prosecco

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great look dear! Love the combo!
    Much love, Pisa
    www.inlovewithmyclothes.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. So chic! I love the colour combo
    xo
    www.laurajaneatelier.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great outfit! Beautiful photos!
    Xoxo,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the color of your dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great look! xx
    http://www.atrendylifestyle.com/2016/04/letsgummyline-las-gominolas-adelgazantes.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are looking so beautiful dear, amazing outfit!
    X
    http://www.vickydressy.ch

    ReplyDelete
  32. The weather in Switzerland is really weird too...
    I like your outfit! ;)

    Laura
    http://furiouslychic.blogspot.ch/

    ReplyDelete
  33. look beautiful!
    anastasiafox.ru

    ReplyDelete
  34. This dress is absolutely gorgeous! I love that black and blue colour combo!

    http://marylyl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love that dress combine with the black coat.
    Perfect on you.

    don't forget to visit me back,

    heymarsya.blogspot.co.id

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am so in love with your jumper dress! The colour and style is beautiful! Wish my mum would make something like that for me lol, was already to go buy it too! :) love your outfit choice, can't really go wrong with a primark MAC :)

    Http://www.makeerinover.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  37. You look lovely Anika! This shade of blue is just stunning on you xx
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  38. So beautiful photos & stylish outfit!

    http://julianacheva.blogspot.bg/

    ReplyDelete
  39. We the same weather in Hungary, it's totally unpredictable and a little annoying! You look gorgeous and this is such a cute outfit!


    xo, Esther

    http://bubblesther.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. The blue colour really suits you!

    http://claresloves.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love this outfit and your dress is beautiful! That blue is also perfect on you :)

    Stephanie ● Sartorial Diner

    ReplyDelete
  42. Super lovely outfit, this outfit just scream elegant and perfect. x

    http://birdiethgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Yayy your from Yorkshire! I'm originally from there too,but I know live in Australia! Your photos make me miss the English countryside. You look gorgeous in this black and blue combo, I especially like this coat

    Rachel xx
    http://www.thedailyluxe.net

    ReplyDelete
  44. love your outfit dear :)
    www.ambiinwonderland.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. The blue of your dress is simply perfect!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. That dress is so pretty, such a gorgeous colour. Amazing that it's homemade too! Lovely look.

    The Makeup Directory

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is such a pretty look.
    http://www.thestylegalaxy.com/2016/05/may-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. Nice post!!!!
    Chiara
    Www.chiaraangiolino.it

    ReplyDelete
  49. Such a simple look but you look gorgeous. Great post.

    Alexandra / www.alyspace.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne