The Magic of the Konjac Sponge

20 June 2016 Bingley, West Yorkshire, UK

This post is in collaboration with The Konjac Sponge Company.
The Konjac sponge* is a multi-ward winning product made from the Amorphophallus Konjac plant root, which is often used as a healthy food source or for medical purposes in Asia. The plant is loaded with fibre and filled with an enormous amount of nutrients such as vitamins A, E, D, B1, B2 and C as well as amino acids and minerals like potassium and zinc. Kojac is naturally an alkaline, so it helps in balancing the pH of the skin – incredibly useful in battling acne. I’ve had the opportunity to try out the Konjac sponge, and love it so far!
How I Used the Sponge
I have used quite a few different exfoliating sponges and products, and the most important thing I’ve learned is that the sponge needs to be rinsed before. I prefer to use warm water, and thoroughly rinse the sponge to make sure it’s clean. With the Konjac sponge, fully hydrating it is the best way to get a good use from its properties, before massaging it into the skin in a circular motion. You can add cleanser to either the sponge or the skin, and then focus on problem areas such as breakout spots or pores. After each cycle of exfoliating my face, I like to rinse the sponge again and squeeze out any dirt and excess oil it has collected. One of the great things about the sponge is that is has a string hooked through, which doesn’t come loose or get lost, so once I’m doing washing my face I hang the sponge to dry, usually in a room that will dry it quickly and never somewhere wet or damp like the shower. I learned that harshly rubbing the skin isn’t necessary either!
Why I Love the Sponge
When I received the sponge, the first thing I noticed was how rock solid it was. My immediate thought was “How on earth is this thing going to work on my face?” With previous products, a rocky texture can make acne and breakouts a lot worse and leave my skin feeling like a layer has been torn off and extremely sensitive. As soon as the sponge hit water, it started to soften and my mind was blown. It is a lot smoother than a flannel, and more effective than my hands. I assumed the holes in the sponge would be sharp against my face but were also soft too. Using the sponge has helped me to keep my breakouts under control, especially as I have recently conquered acne!
I can use the sponge with or without a cleanser or soap, and still get that freshly massaged feeling. There’s simply nothing I hate more than washing my face and getting that dry and tight sensation that can come immediately after I have finished a cleanse, the Konjac sponge leaves my face feeling renewed and clean! The bamboo charcoal in my sponge is naturally antibacterial and antifungal, which is ideal for my skin as it can become quite oily. I was also amazed at how the sponge returned to the original size and texture when dry. It’s amazing for removing make up and easy to clean afterwards as water flows through it so quickly and easily.
The price of the sponges are between £5 and 15, and have a life span of around three months, which is a good time to be changing the product used to clean your skin.

I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who’s looking for a new sponge to exfoliate their skin without tearing layers away. There’s a wide range for different skin types and well as travel kits – I used the Bamboo Charcoal sponge, specifically for teen, oily or spot-prone skin!

Have you ever used a Konjac sponge? Did you like it?

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne