10 Life Lessons Learned in My Late Teens

3 September 2016 Eldwick, UK

September's here! As it's basically school season and I'm feel reminiscent of my time in the education system, I thought I would share today's post. My late teens were a turning point for me. Everyone has that stage at a different point, some teens really mature at 14, others would rather sit and play The Sims for 6 hours until the problem disappears like me. However, towards the end of my teenage years, I started to grow as a person and mature more during the struggle of sixth form.

I am responsible
It's time to grow up! Once I started looking after myself in little ways, I realised I'm responsible for everything regarding me. My mum can only do so much and I've got to fly the figurative nest at some point. I learned it was down to me to be time efficient, and pack bags properly and even revise thoroughly otherwise I would have no one else to blame.

Friends aren't forever
While in sixth form, I drifted away from my group of friends quite a lot. When I started in school, I had an enormous group of friends, both boys and girls but somehow it started to fade. I never really noticed until there were about four of us left and then there was me. Looking back, I'm happy I had those experiences, but I've moved on and found people who care about me.

Most things require effort
Being lazy doesn't get me very far. It's one of my biggest traits, I enjoy laying around and doing absolutely nothing. I could easily stare at a wall for a good half an hour and feel entertained. I'm just a simple lass like that. However, growing up, I have noticed that I need to work HARD if I want anything done right. Minimal effort isn't an option when it comes to blogging, and that should be the same for most tasks I tackle.
Spending is much easier than saving
I LOVE shopping so much. Even window shopping is better than going down to the bank and actually opening a savings account and locking away my money, but it has to be done. Seriously, if I do not but some of my savings in a fixed bond, it will disappear, I will find something to spend it on. Right now I'm learning to drive, and I've realised saving is the only way I will be able to continue.

I can't please everyone
I had spent a large amount of my adolescent and teenage years trying to impress and please everyone. If I could sense even the slightest tone of disappointment in someone's tone or facial expression, it would sit with me for months. One day, during that mid A-Level-breakdown everyone goes through, I became determined not to care and haven't looked back since. I still have the same attitude today: you don't like me....so?

I won't have a perfect life
From around the age of nine, I had my life planned to the T. I would become a fashion designer and marry a super hot guy and live between Los Angeles and London - basically become Victoria Beckham. I'm sad to announce that didn't happen, but happy to confirm that's perfectly okay. My life has had many twist and turns in its twenty years, but it keeps me on my toes and I like the unexpectedly.
Getting old is what I make of it
While in school, I had a friend who used to cry every birthday because she didn't like the idea of getting older. She was completely inconsolable and felt like she'd wasted a year. I still think of her every year, but it helps me to remember that getting old isn't the worst thing in the world and its an opportunity to reflect and grow!

Keep those unrealistic expectation
This may not apply to everyone, but I'm pretty sure I live in a fairy universe. I imagined my self driving a Range Rover about now and my blog being so successful I was fighting off publishers with book deals and sponsors with collaborations. Of course I know this is a ridiculously high aim, but it makes me smile and keeps me blogging on the days when I really don't want to.

Experience is everything

Despite there being incredibly trying times I wouldn't be the same person without those experiences. I'm sure there's many many (many) more to come, but I'm still happy to learn and attempt to grow up on my own. Travelling alone has really helped my confidence and understanding, as well as allowed me to see countries and cities I could only dream of!

Happy September!

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne