Kill Them With Kindness | Journal

12 September 2016 Oslo, Norway

I like to consider myself a nice person. When I comment on a blog post with a compliment, or point out a strength in someone - it's genuine. I hope others think so too. But sometimes it's really hard to be a nice person. Pressure builds and builds and with nowhere to channel the negativity, it just bursts out and hits the receiver by surprise. Rather than do this, I much prefer the kill 'em with kindness route.

As I keep blabbing on about, I used to work full-time and my boss was basically evil. There's no sugar-coating it because she didn't like me and she made sure I knew it. Regardless off this, I tried as hard as I could to keep my cool, and managed it - just about. I would smile when she spoke to me, listen carefully and maintain eye contact (as if I actually cared about what she had to say) and always answered "yes" when she called my name rather than "wut". Over time, I could actually see that my constant happy personality and kindness towards her even though she couldn't stand me was irritating her. So I started to do more. That's when I learned the real meaning of KILL THEM WITH KINDNESS.

I'm not a big fan of the Selena Gomez song, but this is the best advice I have ever received. Haters don't come around often, so usually I'm unsure with how to deal with it. Sure, it's normal to have a good cry and vent to someone, but the most effective method I've used is a smile. Just a smile. There's never any need to go overboard, as when someone intentionally tried to hurt you, the last thing they're expecting is a happy face.

It could be really easy for me to just yell at anyone who has ever upset me, or write a rude comment back (as I've actually received some on Anika May). Sometimes commenters don't like me and want to tell me. Rather than see it as an insult, I take it as an opinion. And in the words of Chipmunk: "Opinions ain't facts, take 'em in and let them go". Replace the spite with a smile.

I'm a pretty sarcastic person, so minimising the hate with a smile can be difficult when the smile is almost a smirk and the eyes are squinting so hard it's a struggle to see. That's not the kindness I'm talking about. Genuine kindness, letting the words roll off your back, is the ideal way to handle adversity. I've done it before, and I'm sure I'll do it again. Smiling face with smiling eyes 

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne