Six Ways I’m Approaching Blogging Differently

7 June 2017 Kettering, UK

In December 2016, I decided to take a break from blogging because I fell out of love with it. During this time, I wanted to really figure out the type of person I want to be, and I want that person to be the same online, as in real life. Blogging became more a chore for me and I feel like all the joy was zapped out of it. And articles from bigger bloggers saying the market is saturated and there’s no room for everyone else doesn’t help, but it isn’t going to stop me. I’m back to blogging for good, and I have six different ways I’m going to ensure that happens.

KILL THE COMPARISON
One of the main reasons I fell out of love with blogging is because I was comparing my blog to everyone else’s. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to improve and grow as a person, but it should be to your own standards, not to the achievements of someone else. I was measuring my success based on how similar I was to other bloggers I looked up to, and when I wasn’t close to them, it started to get me down. I’ll still look up to bloggers, but not try to become them. I wanna be me!

NO MORE PRESSURE
I used to really pressure and push myself while blogging, almost to the point of not wanting to even switch my computer on. I used to seriously freak out if I wasn’t getting four blog posts out a week and had to post on Instagram three times a day. That’s when blogging really became a chore. I was even setting reminders to tweet and so on. Now that blogging is more personal to me, I’m posting when I feel I should post (but still frequently) and tweeting what I’m actually thinking, rather than just a quote of the day or a photo of my breakfast. With Instagram, I still post every day, but filling up people’s feeds isn’t at the top of my list any more.

FOCUS ON PHOTOS
When blogging my daily outfits, I used to use any old photos and just hope for the best. I have a chunky DSLR that takes killer photos, and awesome lenses, so I’m going to make use of them! I really enjoy photography and my sister (sort of) enjoys taking photos of me in random locations, which means I really need to up my game. Instead of finding hit and miss Tumblr images, I want to spend time arranging flat lays, or planning the set up for my photos, so they not only reflect my personality, but also improve the quality of my blog.

PUBLISH THOSE DRAFTS
The number one reason I started a blog is because I love to write. When I was younger, I really thought I was going to be an author or a journalist because creative writing and sharing my thoughts it my passion. I have quite a few blog posts sitting in my drafts that I wrote to inspire my readers. However I was always a little scared to publish them, worried that it means I won’t fit in to the whole “fashion” market, or that I was straying too far from my niche. Well my blog is named after myself, and myself shall decide what I publish. From photography, to travel to journal posts, I want to share it all.

CREATE VIDEOS
There’s very little chance I’m going to become a YouTuber over the next six months, but I recently edited a video called “24 Hours in London” which I shot on my iPhone 7. I really enjoyed the editing process and loved the final product. Creating a travel video out of the phone footage was genuinely an enjoyable experience and I definitely want to continue doing so. I may start small, with the occasional trip around Yorkshire or even some drone footage. But soon, I want to be able to share travel videos online!

JUST BEING ME
As I mentioned earlier, my blog is named Anika May. That’s me. There’s no point creating a little corner on the internet for myself, if I’m not being myself. I finally know the type of person I am, and I know who I want to grow to become. It’s not another blogger, or a celebrity, or even one of my friends – it’s just me. Anika. I’m not that cool, I don’t pout in photos and I like spending hours watching trash TV. I no longer want to hide aspects of my personality or worry what people think of me because it’s my blog, and it always will be. Haters gon’ hate…right?

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I read every single one and appreciate all the lovely words. I also check out every blog that comments so feel free to leave a link! Anika xo

Copyright © Anika May | UK Life and Style Blog.
Design by Fearne